Underwood Vs. City Of Chicago Update
Originally Posted on July 03, 2017
The Appellate Court decision is out and here is a synopsis of Clint Krislov’s interpretation.
- The covered class entitled to lifetime benefits including all of Class 3 and most of Class 4 that means anyone hire before June 16, 2003
- Everyone who became a “participant in the system” (hired before June 16, 2003) by the 2003 settlement is entitled to lifetime benefits
- The ruling includes Class 1, 2,3 (hired by August 23, 1989) and most of Class 4 (post August 23, 1989 hires)
- The Appellate Court views the only protected benefit is the $55/$21 a month contribution for Police and Fire and $25 a month for Laborers
- The ruling doesn’t address those hire before April 1, 1986 who do not qualify for Medicare.
There is 35 days to appeal to the Illinois Supreme Court.
The fight continues.